Cheri A. Lewis founded Lewis Law Offices, PLC, in 2006. Prior to opening Lewis Law Offices, Cheri Lewis founded and managed The Closing Company, Central Virginia’s first and largest real estate settlement and title insurance company. She expanded the Company to four locations, serving 15 counties and cities before eventually selling it in 2004 to LandAmerica, a Fortune 500 company.
Before founding The Closing Company in 1994, Ms. Lewis practiced law in both Charlottesville and in Washington, D.C., specializing in real estate, community association and commercial matters.
A member of the Charlottesville-Albemarle Bar Association and the Virginia State Bar, Ms. Lewis received her B.A. degree in American Government from the University of Virginia and her law degree from the Marshall-Wythe School of Law at the College of William & Mary.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Athena Award Winner, Charlottesville Chamber of Commerce, 2009
- Member, City of Charlottesville Planning Commission, 2001-present (Chair, 2004-2005)
- Member, City of Charlottesville Housing Advisory Committee, 2006-2008
- Member, Charlottesville-Albemarle Affordable Housing Task Force, 2007
- Chair, Thomas Jefferson Community Workforce Housing Fund, 2004-present
- Presenter and Author, 2006, Virginia Continuing Legal Education Seminar: “Who Is Your Client in a Real Estate Transaction?”
- Member, City of Charlottesville Board of Architectural Review, 2002-2004
- Member, City of Charlottesville Electoral Board, 1994-2003
- Board Member and Legal Counsel, Blue Ridge Home Builders Association, 1998-2005
- Elder and Deacon, First Presbyterian Church
- President’s Lifetime Achievement Award, 2001, Blue Ridge Home Builders Association
- Associate of the Year, 1999, Blue Ridge Home Builders Association
- Affiliate of the Year, 1999, Charlottesville Area Association of Realtors
- Haiti Mission Trip Member, 1994, 1995, 1998
- Board Member and Committee Chair, Charlottesville Habitat for Humanity, 1994-1998
- Volunteer of the Year, 1993, Shelter for Help in Emergency
- PADI Certified Open Water Diver
- Summited Mt. Kilimanjaro, Kilimanjaro National Park, Tanzania